Forest and Wildlife Research Center | MSU Extension Service
Deer Biology Publications
Back to Publications
- Age and regional differences in antlers and mass of white-tailed deer Journal of Wildlife Management 64:903-911.
- Age and regional differences in Mississippi deer. Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks, Wildlife Issues 1(2):12.
- Biological and Social Issues Related to Confinement of Wild Ungulates. Technical Review 02-3. 29 pages.
- Deer forage response to herbicide and fire in mid-rotation pine plantations. Journal of Wildlife Management 73(5):663-668.
- Desert mule deer survival in southwest Texas. Journal of Wildlife Management 68(3):561-569.
- Digestible energy requirements for maintenance of body mass of white-tailed deer in southern Texas. Journal of Mammalogy 86:56-60.
- Do Odocoileus Virginianus males product Y-chromosome-based ejaculates? Implications for adaptive sex ratio theories. Journal of Mammalogy 85(4):768-773.
- Factors affecting conception date variation in white-tailed deer Wildlife Society Bulletin 36(1):107-114
- Free-ranging and confined sika deer in North America: Current status, biology, and management. Pages 615-642 in D. R. McCullough, S. Takatsuki, and K. Kaji, editors. Sika deer: Biology and management of native and introduced populations. Springer.
- Genetic consequences of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) restoration in Mississippi. Molecular Ecology 12:3237-3252.
- Home-range of desert mule deer: testing the body-size and habitat productivity hypotheses. Journal of Wildlife Management 64:146-153.
- In vitro digestibility of forages by coexisting deer species in Texas. Texas Journal of Science 55:175-182.
- Inconsistent association of male body mass with breeding success in captive white-tailed deer. Journal of Mammalogy 92(3):527-533.
- Male reproductive success in white-tailed deer. 5th International Deer Biology Congress, Quebec City, CAN.
- Molecular evaluation of the white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) mating system. Journal of Mammalogy 90(4):946-953.
- Multiple paternity in white-tailed deer revealed by DNA microsatellites. 5th International Deer Biology Congress, Quebec City, CAN.
- Phenotypic and reproductive variation in cohorts of white-tailed deer: the role of harvest and environment. Journal of Wildlife Management 77(2):243-253.
- Potential Impact of the 2011 Flood on Deer in the Mississippi Delta. Delta Wildlife, Fall:20-23.
- Reproductive characteristics of white-tailed deer in Mississippi. Southeastern Naturalist 9(4):803-812.
- Reproductive characteristics of white-tailed deer. Delta Wildlife (Summer Issue), pages 14, 16-17.
- Size and fidelity of home ranges of male white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) in southern Texas. Southwestern Naturalist 55:269-273.
- Social dominance and male breeding success in captive white-tailed deer. Wildlife Society Bulletin 34(1):131-136.
- The impact of translocation and restocking programs on the genetic structure of white-tailed deer in MS. The Wildlife Society, Burlington, VT.
- The Role of Genetics and Nutrition in Deer Management Mississippi State University Extension Service Publication 3013
- Understanding Whitetails: the age, nutrition and genetic interactions of bucks. Texas Trophy Hunters Association 2007 Annual Whitetail Hunting Guide 2007:150-154
- Understanding whitetails: the age, nutrition, and genetic interactions of bucks. The Journal of the Texas Trophy Hunters, Jan./Feb:60-67.
- Understanding whitetails: the age, nutrition, and genetics interaction of bucks. Special 30-Year Anniversary Issue: "The Best of Texas Trophy Hunters". September, 2004 pages 126-131.
- Variation in mass and lactation among cohorts of white-tailed deer Odocoileus viginianus. Wildlife Biology 14:263-271.
- Whitetail Wisdom. Quality Whitetails 8(2):6.
- White-tailed deer restoration in the Southeastern United States: Genetic insights from the greatest wildlife conservation success story. Quality Whitetails 68-72
- White-tailed deer. Pages 906-930 in G.A. Feldhamer, B.C. Thompson, J.A. Chapman, editors. Wild mammals of North America: Biology, Management and Conservation, Second Edition. John Hopkins University Press.
- White-tailed deer. Pages 601-628 in S. Demarais and P. R. Krausman, editors. Ecology and management of large mammals in North America. Prentice-Hall.
- Who gets to be a deer daddy - Part 1. Quality Whiteails 18(6):62-68.
- Who gets to be a deer daddy - Part 2. Quality Whitetails 19(1):42-48.